Saturday 28 November 2009

What is Oxolodon? It's just a strange term that I made it up myself (you can check by typing "oxolodon" into google, then the term oxolodon only belongs to this blog or any link directed here :p)

Well, I'm a little bit "stuck" after graduating from the bachelor degree of mathematics in the University Of Indonesia, since i still don't get a way to proceed to a master degree. Perhaps because most of the scholarships believe those A, A-, B+, B, C+, C, C-, D or E stuffs more than what actually we can do.

During this "empty state", I remember that once I was in the undergraduate there were so many materials that should be taught but they were not (due to the lack of time or the atmosphere of the class). Here are some of the materials I've gotten and what was missed, while I was taking my bachelor.

Calculus I : Almost all materials were discussed. But I need to teach myself about
Transcendence Function and Technique Of Integration.

Real Analysis I & II: Using Bartle's Book, The Elements Of Analysis, We couldn't reach
Section 6: Differentiation.

Complex Analysis : We know what is the analytic functions but we stopped in the Cauchy-
Riemann Equations section. I should study myself: singularity, Liouville
Theorem, Uniqueness Extension Theorem, Poles, Cauchy-Goursat
Theorem, Residue theorem, Schwarz lemma, Picard Theorem, Winding
Numbers.

Algebra :
I love the Algebra I course. It almost covered all the materials except Galois Theory (Introductory), Sylow Theorems and the Finite Simple Group (we actually discussed
about an active research in the Characterization Of Finite Simple Group :
Sporadic Groups.) This course is the best i've followed so far!


They suggest me to become


self-active to enrich my understanding on every courses.

Because due to the lack of time or the class atmosphere, the instructor cannot cover all the materials required by the syllabus.
As for me., I found that it is easier to understand about a subject (particularly math) by trying to explain it to the others. Unfortunately, I rarely find someone who want to listen the "hard-stuff" about pure mathematics (except when they're really need it, for example before the exam).

This is the Idea behind Generating Oxolodon Space.
-It maybe me talking to myself-

one more thing: Our mathematics skill will be decayed by time, if we never use it frequently. I am no longer in the academic.

5 comments

arghhh.. i should find a powerful grammar checker for gnu/linux ..

Reply

Biar gak stuck segera lamar lamar buat sekolah.

Reply

blom siap pak.. lg nyari modal buat toefl, gre, form applikasi yg ga murah..

Reply

Lagi belajar apa sekarang? Saya juga lagi stuck (sudah dari lama stucknya :D ). Belajar bareng you! Tapi belajar apa ya?

Reply

lg belajar algebraic geometry pak.. ayo2 pak bikin2 paper.. eh pak yg ictp itu gimana sih sistem nya..

Reply